Right about now you might be feeling like your skin is looking a little tired and blah. You wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, a little shocked that your skin seems to be starting to age, right before your very eyes. And, just a couple of years ago everyone was guessing you to be… well… way younger than you’re sure you are looking right now.
Cut yourself some slack. Part of this is just the time of year. The cold weather, a lack of movement on your part (a lot of us hibernate in the winter) and dull overcast days can affect your circulation, which is an essential ingredient for healthy complexions. All of this can be a bit depressing and affect your resolve to fix the problem.
Well now, it’s resolution time, so that means it’s time to recommit to having younger looking, glowing skin… and you can do it too! You just have to motivate yourself and plan to create your best complexion possible.
Here are my six essential steps for a brighter skin:
- Have a facial. This will get the ball rolling. Your complexion will look brighter and fresher and it can take years off the look of your skin. A qualified esthetician will become your personal guru, guiding you towards skin care nirvana. She will help you take the guesswork out of deciding which is the best strategy for improving your skin. A brightening facial should wake up your skin, stimulate healthy circulation, exercise and tone slack facial muscles and help correct pigmentation problems through vitamin rich corrective peels. My favorite Elizabeth Renee facial for dull, tired skin is our BioLift Brightening Facial. This facial focuses on brightening the skin through multiple layering of Vitamin C exfoliants, masques and corrective serums. It uses warm ionization for better penetration and skin sculpting microcurrent to tone and give your skin a nice lift. Click Here to Book a Facial Now.
- Choose a brightening AHA. A facial scrub is great for at-home exfoliation for many skin types but only minimally addresses the issue of skin brightening. Glycolic and Retinols work better but, for optimal brightening start alternating your scrub with a corrective AHA serum that contains lactic acid (or salicylic acid for problem skin) and you will see a smoother, well hydrated skin with a lessening of pigmentation stains. Getting Even is an effective AHA blend with lactic acid that also includes botanical brighteners (like licorice root extract). You might also enjoy BOOST which is a nifty little Lactic Acid serum that can be added directly to your scrub to boost it’s exfoliating and skin brightening capabilities.
- Time to get moving. Movement stimulates circulation which in turn brings needed nutrient in to feed your skin. Try adding a 20 minute walk to your daily routine. If the weather’s bad, try walking the mall. It may sound a little hokey, but it’s cheap and easy to do, and it works. A little burn creates a wonderful glow.
- Start using a toner. I know. They look like water and you’re not quite sure if they’re important or why you should use one. Toners do more than rid the skin of excess dirt and makeup after cleansing. The most compelling reason to use a toner is because the right toner removes the residue left on your skin from the tap water you used to wash your face. When clients come in for a facial and they are not using a toner I can tell instantly. All that chlorine, fluoride and sodium left on the skin after washing makes your skin look dull and lifeless. Check out Elizabeth Renee Toners.
- Invest in a Vitamin C serum. The most effective way to get your daily dose of Vitamin C for your skin is through the use of a serum concentrate. Vitamin C is a great ingredient when put in moisturizers or cleansers, but to ensure you are getting the proper amount, you need to turn to a more potent formula which can only found in a serum. Why Vitamin C? During the day especially, you are exposed to free radicals in the environment which contribute to aging. Vitamin C interferes with these damaging skin stressors. Vitamin C is a also a great brightener for the skin. It helps even pigmentation and lighten post-breakout stains. Regular use even helps reduces blackheads. Finally, there have been multiple studies showing that Vitamin C boosts collagen production, making your skin firmer and softening lines. It’s important though to choose the right version of Vitamin C. Choose a gentle (no sting) formula based on magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. This stable form of Vitamin C stays fresher (and more active) longer. Elizabeth Renee Esthetics’ C & E Antioxidant Serum has been our top selling serum for years. It’s because clients experience visible results.
- Get your beauty sleep. I feel that this has been my nemesis. I have to keep reminding myself that skin repair happens at night while I’m sleeping. When you sleep your skin goes into repair mode. This is why those expensive repair serums work best at night. Sleep also boosts chemicals (cytokines) which improve your immune system, keeping your skin healthy and less vulnerable to inflammatory skin agers. Getting a good night sleep means less baggy eyes, less red blotchy skin, and better cell replacement for stronger, firmer skin. Shoot for 7-8 hours nightly. Want glowing healthy skin… then sleep on it!
So, are you ready to take action? Want to feel better and look younger? We’d love to here from you. Click below to share this on Facebook and write a post to let us know how your progress is going. We’re happy to respond, offering you our experience and support.